Why apply for a copyright registration?
Copyright protects original creative works such as books, songs, photos, and computer software.
Registering your copyright is critical:
- Registration establishes a public record of the copyright claim.
- Registration is necessary before an infringement suit may be filed in court.
- If made before or within five years of publication, registration will establish prima facie evidence in court of the validity of the copyright and of the facts stated in the certificate.
- If registration is made within three months after publication of the work or prior to an infringement of the work, statutory damages and attorney’s fees will be available to the copyright owner in court actions. Otherwise, only an award of actual damages and profits is available to the copyright owner.
- Registration allows the owner of the copyright to record the registration with the U.S. Customs Service for protection against the importation of infringing copies.
Registering your copyright with Trust Tree®
When you choose Trust Tree, an experienced attorney will develop a copyright strategy that fits your business goals and budget. Your attorney will evaluate your work to make sure it’s eligible for copyright protection. When it comes time to file, your attorney prepares your application, files it, and monitors your application after it’s filed. If the U.S. Copyright Office objects to your application, your attorney will counsel you on your options and can respond on your behalf. Once you receive your certificate of registration, we keep track of your renewal deadlines. And, if anyone tries to infringe your copyright, the experienced litigators at Trust Tree can help you resolve the dispute.
With our Complete Copyright Registration Package an experienced attorney will:
- Evaluate your work and develop a copyright strategy for you
- Prepare and file your copyright application
- Monitor your copyright application and provide notifications of its progress
- Respond to any procedural issues raised by the U.S. Copyright Office
- Provide your Certificate of Registration
- Notify you of all renewal deadlines